Starting a business is not a small feat, and it suffices that you will require a partner that understands your needs from the very beginning. While many formation services offer basic features, not many of them have a deep understanding of the law. Today, we will look at a company that tackles both the technical and legal aspects of business formation:
LegalZoom Registered Agent in California
What comes to your mind when you hear that a company has been in operation for decades? For many people, such a long period equates to experience. Since 1999, LegalZoom California LLC has been available to the public, offering registration services as well as legal help. The latter service has enabled this company to set itself apart from the rest and earned it numerous positive reviews. With millions of customers behind it, it has fast grown to be one of the most sought-after services.
How much is LegalZoom LLC California?
Compared to similar services in the industry, this company charges hefty prices. On the upside, using it is much cheaper than seeking legal advice from an attorney. However, where are you do not need legal help, you would benefit more from seeking services from fairly priced companies. This service has three tiers.
Legalzoom LLC: Package Prices
LegalZoom Economy package
This first level costs $79, a price that is not inclusive of the state fees. Under this, you get:
- A name check. It’s vital that you come up with an identifier that has not been used before. The site has a service that allows you to scroll through a database and determine if you can go ahead with the name you have in mind. The beauty of this is that you get to save money which you would have used to file documents that would have been rejected.
- Document prepping and filing. All you need to do is provide the details required to fill in the forms, and the agents will process these documents and hand them over to the authorities on your behalf.
- Tech support. If you run into any issues, you can always contact customer support that’s available until 10 p.m. during weekdays and up to 7 during weekends. This availability makes it easier for customers to lodge their complaints.
- A resolution to open an account. If you will not be the only one operating the business, you will need to come up with a list of names of the people authorized to transact on your behalf. In this case, you will need a resolution which you will present to your financier to effect this representation. LegalZoom can take care of this document on your behalf.
LegalZoom Standard package
The mid-level gives you everything you will find in the first tier, with the following additions:
- An organizer. Not only does having an organizing box help you stay organized but it also points to the professionalism in your company. You get this for free.
- Membership certificates. For up to 20 members of your organization, you will get ownership certificates which you can use for official purposes. Additionally, these come with a decorative seal to add some aesthetic value.
- Priority processing. By paying for this level, you automatically get your order processed ahead of anyone else in the first tier. If time is not on your side, this will be a good idea.
Clients in this level part with $329, exclusive of the state fees.
LegalZoom Express Gold package
At the topmost level, clients pay $349, which does not cover the state fees. For this price, you benefit from the features in the previous levels, as well as:
- Priority processing. If you would like to get your documents processed fast, this will be the best level, as you will have priority over the previous levels. Furthermore, given that California has an option for an expedition, the company will ensure that you get your documents within a few days.
- Fast shipping. Once your documents are approved, the company will send them to you, and provide you with the tracking number which you can use to assess the status of your package.
Generally, people who are in a hurry go for this package. If not, you can always choose the previous packages.
For more information on these LegalZoom LLC cost California packages, please refer to this pricing information.
Legalzoom LLC California: Pros & Cons
- Experience. With more than 20 years in the business, this company knows a thing or two about what it offers to its clients. It has been in operation long enough to continually innovate its services to standards that are acceptable to the market.
- Guarantee. How many companies will offer you 60 days to decide whether you want to keep paying for services? In this case, you have close to two months to decide whether you want your money back based on the services you have received. It just goes to show how trustworthy the company is.
- Free name check. Unlike with other companies, you don’t have to sign up to use the name check feature. You can use this service as you debate on whether you would like to buy one of their packages.
- Customer service. The customer reps are available up to 10 p.m. on weekdays and 7 p.m. on the weekend. Additionally, the company has received praise on its positive attitude towards customers.
- Cost. If you look at what other companies offering similar services charge for their features, you will realize that LegalZoom is on the higher end. That makes it inaccessible to people with lower budgets.
- Limited features. As much as this company charges hefty prices, its features are not as advanced as those of some of its competitors, which puts it at a disadvantage. If you’re looking to cash in on technical matters, you might not appreciate the selection in this company.
- Upsells. With each click, the site tries to get you to sign on to yet another feature. If you were to accept all these features, you will end up paying a high amount, notwithstanding the fact that you’ve already paid a hefty amount for basic services. It can get frustrating.
Should You Start an LLC With LegalZoom?
You must choose LegalZoom in California if you:
- Would like to work with a company that can offer you legal advice from time to time.
- Want more than technical help.
- Will feel more comfortable working with a company that has decades of experience.
- Would like the option to get your money back.
Do not choose LegalZoom or find an alternative to it if you:
- Are working with a limited budget. This company tends to have a higher price point compared to its competitors.
- Do not need legal help. It would not make sense to pay the costly price points if you did not need some hand-holding in your registration procedures.
- Want fast response speeds. When it comes to responding to customer queries, this company could do with some improvement.
Frequently Asked Questions
The amount incurred depends on the services you procure. If you do everything by yourself, you would expect to spend $70 for filing your registration documents, and $800+$20 to keep up with your statutory requirements. The $20 fee is due every two years.
For people who use intermediaries like create California LLC LegalZoom, the costs increase because you’re going to pay for the convenience services. You cannot expect to pay the same as someone who is doing everything by themselves.
Also, if your revenue is higher than the base rate, you will pay an additional fee based on the estimate of your projected income. The base rate stands at $250,000.
This question is highly relative as it depends on what you want. A person who wants help with legal matters will consider this as one of their first choices. However, someone who is interested in technical matters would not go for this service as a first choice. Given the high price points, this company will be ideal for someone looking for premium services that come encompassed with some legal help. That is not to say that you cannot use this if you do not want legal help. It only means that you will end up paying way higher for basic services which you can get in other companies.
Both companies have been praised for their legal services. However, their structures are quite different. Let’s start with the price. If your needs are some legal services at the start of your business, LegalZoom would be the better option. You pay a one-off fee and gain access to contract templates which you can use during the course of your business. This service comes with the advantage of experience.
For a person who needs continuous legal advice, Rocket Lawyer would be the better option. On the downside, it costs more in the long run. However, if you are new to the ins-and-outs of entities, this will work better for you.
I have used LegalZoom twice — once to set up a non-profit and once to set up an LLC. I have had nothing but positive experiences. Here’s the skinny: If you are going to start your own business you need to do some research. If you can’t critically look at a service and figure out what you need and what you don’t, and how to sign up for it you probably won’t succeed in running your own business. Yes you can do it yourself, but I didn’t have the time and I had a difficult situation and needed legal advice (which I did pay extra for). If you want to just hand off something and not have to do any work on your own or think about, you can pay a huge consulting fee to a lawyer.
I had an awesome experience with LegalZoom! Their customer service is absolutely wonderful. I spoke with John S. and he was extremely helpful and courteous. I will definitely use them again in the near future.
Legal zoom is a big waste of time!!!! What took them 70 days not to complete took me 4days. They have no supervisers they can give you. They dont call back when you get disconnected. The employees give you fake extension numbers. Everything about legal zoom is horrible
I experienced exceptional service with a minor glitch. Either my fault or
my inexperience. My wife””s name was spelled Hardy not Handy on her
living will. Corrected already. I am not a computer user per say. I need
all the help I can get. Your staff were terrific, I could not ask for more.
Thank you LegalZoom for making the process of starting my business so easy. You’ve worked so fast and handling my legal papers right on time. I am open for business thanks to you LegalZoom.
Legal Zoom is very thorough. You will have everything you will need to start your business. Even banks know how complete they tend to be with resources and materials.
Amazing company! They helped me so much with setting up my business. Getting a trademark was a huge goal of mine & they helped me so much with the submission!